Crochet Beret

This is the project that wasn't.  I used a tutorial from crochet me but things didn't go well.  I mastered the puff stitch and started with some acrylic yarn to get the hang of it.  This is the first non-scarf/blanket crochet project I tried to finish.  I made up the patter first off with the right sided hook but my tension is a lot tighter than the pattern dictates.  I also managed to misinterpret the instructions and put the next row of stitches into the wrong hole the first (second and third) times I tried.  

Attempt one failing - far too small - suggested fix - larger hook.
Attempt two failing - increased the pattern too much - the hat was far too floppy.
Attempt three failing - reduced the number of stitches in the middle (from 8 to 6) and tried extra increased rows before turning it.  
Attempt four - realised I was putting the stitch into the wrong hole on the previous row.  Frogged it again and started over following the pattern again.  
Attempt five - this wasn't working out - it was far too floppy and frogged the whole thing again when it was 3/4 finished.  At this stage the ball of wool broke twice so I called it a day.  

Review of pattern - this is a great stitch and if I can manage to make one up like on the pattern I will be a very happy bunny - however, the pattern doesn't give a size for the first three rows so I've no idea if I'm sizing it correctly with new hook or not - so I've just given up for now and concentrated on finishing off as many other WIPs lying around the house as possible.









Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. this is the type of hat i want to make but i cant find a pattern can you help please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the tutorial on http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/94364.aspx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The great WSBN sewing room tour

Elementary my dear Watson