This is the project that wasn't. I used a tutorial from crochet me but things didn't go well. I mastered the puff stitch and started with some acrylic yarn to get the hang of it. This is the first non-scarf/blanket crochet project I tried to finish. I made up the patter first off with the right sided hook but my tension is a lot tighter than the pattern dictates. I also managed to misinterpret the instructions and put the next row of stitches into the wrong hole the first (second and third) times I tried.
Attempt one failing - far too small - suggested fix - larger hook.
Attempt two failing - increased the pattern too much - the hat was far too floppy.
Attempt three failing - reduced the number of stitches in the middle (from 8 to 6) and tried extra increased rows before turning it.
Attempt four - realised I was putting the stitch into the wrong hole on the previous row. Frogged it again and started over following the pattern again.
Attempt five - this wasn't working out - it was far too floppy and frogged the whole thing again when it was 3/4 finished. At this stage the ball of wool broke twice so I called it a day.
Review of pattern - this is a great stitch and if I can manage to make one up like on the pattern I will be a very happy bunny - however, the pattern doesn't give a size for the first three rows so I've no idea if I'm sizing it correctly with new hook or not - so I've just given up for now and concentrated on finishing off as many other WIPs lying around the house as possible.