Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Filling in the blanks

The blank canvas tee as a short sleeved jumper.

This fabric was originally purchased and turned into a poncho.  I've no idea why, except that the pattern said it was easy!  I've had the remainder in my stash for ages and was rather too chicken shit to do anything with it.  But my prowess in knits is growing and I've ventured into free online pdf patterns too!  

I drafted a different neckline and elongated the sleeves - the top turned out great but the size was off and the hemming wasn't great - in the end it just ended up annoying me even though BM assured me it wasn't noticeable.  I've worn it a bit but its off to the op shop and I'm chalking it up as a learning experience

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

espousing the virtues of Fabric a brac

I finally made it to two Fabric a bracs last year.  They really are a bit of a pilgrimage for fabric lovers across Wellington.  Though it seems the only photos I have are the ones of the cafe!  Oophs!  In my defence I was working in the cafe for the day (still managed to bag some great fabric bargins!).

The tea rooms

The view of al the lovely eats and the hall of fabric goodness!

Monday, January 26, 2015

Belated birthday goodies

I'm really running behind - near the end of Jan and still only posting about October!  Ah well.

Here's my birthday cake ala the Aro Bakery.  Thanks to Gillian for celebrating with me!  It was a crazy week in work so not the most recharging of weeks!

Though I ended up with some really lovely birthday gifts.  I'm still working away on my Q&A 5 year diary - you write a few sentences a day for 5 years and there's a Question prompt on each page.  Some lovely card and envelopes for my card making hobby.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sewing in circles

I love, love, love this cardigan.  

Made up in a linen cotton blend (I think!) from the Fabric Warehouse purchased during their sale this year.  I sized up the pattern to XL but feel I needn't have bothered.  Its pretty much a circle with two arms and a LOT of binding!

Here's it with an Arabian Nights dress up costume - I went as an Arabian Night (black dress with LED lights sewn in!).

I love the cardi, partly because as its black, it fits in my wardrobe well but mostly because it looks as good or better than something I would buy.  I really love the finish the overlocker gives and this definitely something I would have purchased.

Friday, January 23, 2015

Teeing off

Real clothes for me!  Somehow knits were in my far too hard to make pile for far too long.  Thankfully, this past year, I've started to venture into the wonderful world of knits.

The Ensis Tee by Papercut Patterns.

I was rather pleased with this make and wore it quite a bit.  Two slight problems to fix however.  First, the neckline wasn't tight enough so didn't sit where it should have (and looked like it had gotten a bit too well worned and baggy rather than being new).

Second, I used a twin needle to hem the arms and ended up with a serious ridge between the two.  I've found a pinterest link to how to fix this (and will report back the next time I use it to see if I can amend it).

Loved the pattern and the colour combo.

The grey knit was quite stiff while the pink is very drapey.  A nice combination in person.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Fire starter, twisted fire starter

I'm a massive fan of the idea of an open fire in Winter (a bit of a misdirect in the middle of summer but I'll just pretend its for my Northern Hemisphere readers (hee hee, hello mammy!)).

Yes, I'm finally getting through my backlog of projects I want to post about.  This one is a goodie though.  Using up old egg cartons, dryer lint and the wax of used candles to make awesome and environmentally friendly fire starters.

Dryer lint - check (I like to use the dryer lint from my prewashing of my new fabric - makes it extra nice!)

Saved up bag of used up candle wax!

Dryer lint in egg carton soaked in melted and then set used candle wax.

With the added bonus of being as nicely smelling as the original candles when you start the fire.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Belle Bow Blouse

I have a serious back log of projects - 2014 wasn't the best year for blogging but it was a good year for projects!

So I present...Belle Bow Blouse by In-House Patterns

Its a PDF download for a D cup.  Hurray!  Much less of a Full Bust Adjustment to do!  But unfortunately a lot of sticking together and still quite a bit of tracing out.

I made up a muslin (and due to my swanky new sewing machine I now have a one step buttonhole!). In terms of fit, I ended up making it too big as I changed a bit between cutting out the fabric, sewing it up and getting up the courage to actually do the buttonholes!

The pattern eats quite a bit of fabric if you make the bow version so unfortunately I didn't have enough with my fabric a brac purchase and had to dip into some textured navy I bought at the Swonderful fabric sale.

The fabric is far less see through than it looks in the photos.  More like the one below.  And its quite stiff so not as much of a loss that it doesn't fit any more as it could have been.

Rather pleased with the buttons as they were recycled from a shirt I used to love.  The one step button hole is fun but doesn't give as polished a finish on all of them as I would like (but much better than it would be if I were doing them all as a four step!).