A Sewing Round up to start the year

I haven't been clothes sewing much over the last while as my body was rapidly changing shape and I wasn't feeling the best.  We're expecting an addition to our family at the end of February and unfortunately I seem to be one of those pregnant women who stay sick for all three trimesters (though it is a LOT better and I can function at certain times of the day now!).

I made three tops for my maternity wardrobe - two are great and one I'm just not sold on.  All three are Cashmerette patterns (two Springfield tops and one Appleton dress turned wrap top).  I love the Cashmerette patterns for their cup sizes so the changes I have to make to the pattern are a lot more reserved than my usual hatchet jobs.  


Blue merino from Levana - fit is good for my expanding belly (I deliberately cut it longer in the front on both sides) and after the last attempt, I also added more to the width of each of the front panels as I wanted to reduce the likelihood of it blowing open in the Wellington winds.  I had originally cut it out and made it up as a dress but kept thinking it looked like a dressing gown so repurposed it into a more useful length.  I'm still not convinced and have only really worn it 3-4 times.  Although the Wellington summer seems to finally have arrived so I don't think I'll be wearing it again before the baby arrives.  


Please excuse the baggy trousers, I am wearing all my trousers really low beneath my belly as maternity trousers often push against my stomach and make me nauseous (bah humbug!).


The springfield tops are a great hit.  I didn't make any changes to the front so as maternity wear they're great.  But as a top, they are very very loose in the belly area for normal wear.  I think I might try to amend them with waist darts at some point in the future (or at least the pattern).  These are a bit of a God send at the moment as they're nice and breezy light so I'm not overheating too much when I wear them.


I think this was a Mood fabric while the black and white version was a Melbourne purchase.





Finally, I sewed up the two cotton gauzes from my LA trip last year by just hemming them and they're ready for swaddling or vomit duty as required in future :)

Have a great 2017!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The great WSBN sewing room tour

Elementary my dear Watson